On this old map of 1844
there is no mention of Hindley Green.
the 1841 Census there were houses on what was called Hindley
Green ( which also included Leighs Farm ,
Yew Tree Farm, ( Click
Here ) Jolley House (
Click here ) & Stone House ) which
in order came between Stone Pit Green and Swan
To the left of Long Lane is Hindley Ho.
( meaning House or Houses )
Wigan Registration District, 1851. Census Street Index A-B.
Hindley House Hindley HO 107/2200 293
the left of Long Lane isHindley Ho. ( meaning
House or Houses ) The red square is
where the Clayhole is now. ( Westlake )
( See Clayhole )
is interesting to note that what is now Alder Lane was
in 1844 named Owler Lane and Sandy
Lane was Sand Hole Lane. At
the bottom of Swan Lane where it meets Alder Lane was Boggart
See further down for Boggart Houses )
To the right of Swan Lane, the area was called Snapes.
there was a farm here Snapes Farm occupied
in 1909 by Margaret Johnson.
14 Jun 1905 All Saints, Hindley, Lancashire, England
Margaret Johnson - Age: 75
Abode: Snape Farm Swan Lane Hindley Green
Buried by: C.J. Buckmaster Vicar
Register: Burials 1905 - 1948. This area called Snapes stretched across
the areas of what is now the Edinburgh Drive estate and Taylor Rd estate
to what was Cow Common. (The area around
Carr Common Rd).
it possibly be derived from the dialect of “Ceaw Common” ?
in the 1841 Census Returns it was still called Carr Common.
area of Hindley Green seems to contain lots of clay and at the top
of Leigh road known as "The
Bethel", is an area that has for a long time
been known as "Top
er't Sonds" or "Top
of the Sands".
area became known as "The Bethel" because of the church that was originally
United Methodist Church. Which was originally know as Hindley Common
DIARY OF LOCAL EVENTS
IN THE DISTRICT OF LEIGH
are shocking reports of mining and other disasters in the local
18 Feb Awful colliery explosion at Ince; 89 lives lost.
29 Jan Explosion at Springfield Colliery, Westleigh, three lives
4 Sep Fatal accident on the London and North-Western Railway, near
19 Dec Inundation of the Westleigh Coal Company's Colliery. One
28 May Colliery explosion at Ince; seven persons killed and twelve
25 Nov Colliery explosion at Golborne; four lives lost.
17 Mar Serious fire at Messrs. P. Farnworth and Brothers' cotton
11 Dec Dreadful colliery explosion at Tyldesley Coal Co.'s Pit;
twenty-five men and boys killed.
9 Feb Boiler explosion at Dan-lane Mill, Chowbent; two men killed
and several injured.
8 Aug Fearful and fatal explosion at Bury Lane Mills; death of Richard
gill, Esq., Bury Lane.
24 Dec Fatal explosion at Howelbridge Colliery.
26 Nov Disastrous accident on the London and North-Western Railway,
near Kirkhall-lane crossing; two men killed. Verdict of manslaughter
against Hindley, the platelayer.
28 Feb Collier explosion at Worsley; eight lives lost.
1 Nov Colliery explosion at Shevington, near Wigan; thirteen lives
21 Jan Serious collision on the Bolton and Leigh Railway, near Bolton;
three men killed.
12 Sep Terrible colliery explosion at the Kirklees Hall Co.'s Caledonia
Pit, Hindley; eight persons killed.
9 Dec Destruction by fire of the cotton mill belonging to Mr. John
23 Jan Terrible explosion at Messrs. Evans' colliery; near Ashton-in-Makerfield;
thirty lives lost.
20 Aug Colliery explosion at Garswood Colliery, Ashton-in-Makerfield;
fourteen lives lost.
4 Jul Great fire on Chat Moss.
17 Aug Explosion at Swan Lane Colliery, Hindley; three lives lost.
26 Nov Colliery explosion at Messrs. J. Scowcroft and Co.'s pit,
Hindley Green; sixty lives lost.
30 Dec Explosion at the colliery of Messrs. R. Evans and Co., Haydock;
25 lives lost.
8 Jan Disastrous fire at Bedford Foundry.
13 Jan Fire at Kirkhall-lane Mills.
1 Apr Colliery explosion at Park-lane, near Wigan; twenty-eight
21 Jul Colliery explosion at Haydock; fourteen lives lost.
18 Aug Colliery explosion at Brynn near Ashton-in-Makerfield, 20
8 Oct Colliery explosion at Howebridge, two men killed.
5 Sep Fearful colliery explosion at Brynn Moss, near Ashton-in-Makerfield;
seventy lives lost.
14 Nov Colliery explosion at Messrs. J. Scowcroft and Co.'s pit,
Hindley Green; six men killed.
23 Jan Colliery explosion at Astley; four men injured.
28 Mar Frightful colliery explosion at Lovers'-lane Colliery, Atherton;
twenty-six persons killed.
7 Feb Serious railway collision near Atherton; two men killed.
31 May Explosion at Brynn Hall Colliery; five men killed.
2 Aug Terrible railway catastrophe at Wigan, twelve persons killed
and thirty injured.
18 Jul Colliery explosion at Ince; fifteen lives lost.
3 Jan Destruction by fire of Howebridge Cotton Mill; damages £40,000.
of 508 Deaths
these from Hindley Green
of Hindley Green & Hindley Pits from around 1852
BANKFIELD COLLIERY........East of
Hindley Green Station. H/Green/W/Leigh.
BROAD OAK COLLIERY.....................................Thomas Street,
BUGLE HORN COLLIERY.........................................Swan Lane,
CARR COMMON COLLIERY.....................Carr Common Road, Hindley
CLOSE LANE COLLIERY...................................Off Leigh Road,
HINDLEY GREEN COLLIERIES........................Off Atherton Rd, Hindley
SWAN LANE COLLIERY...........................................Swan
Lane, Hindley Green.
Road, Hindley Green.
LONG LANE FOUR FEET..............................................................
LONG LANE THREE FEET...........................................................
PLANK LANE................................................................................... Hindley
ABRAM COAL CO.............................................................Abram
/ Hindley Green
ALBION,R. and W. Jolley..................................................................
Hindley Green Six Feet, ..............................................................Hindley
Grange Hall, Hindley
Hindley Hall, Hindley
Ladies Lane Nos 1, 2 and 4, Hindley
Low Hall, Hindley
Stangeways Hall, Hindley
Penny Gate – listed as not working
Amberswood, Hindley Astley
Green, Astley - Closed 1970 Astley
Green, Astley - Closed 1970
Atherton, Atherton Bedford
Bedford No 3, Leigh
Bickershaw No 1, Leigh - Closed
Bickershaw Nos 2, 3 and 4, Leigh
- Closed 1992
Bickershaw No 5, Leigh - Closed
Brinsop Hall, Westhoughton
Brinsop Hall Arley, Westhoughton
Brinsop Yard, Westhoughton
Chanters, Atherton - Closed
Chanters No 2, Atherton - Closed
Cleworth Hall Nos 1, 2 and 3,
Tyldesley - shown disused 1908
Cow Lee Lane, Westhoughton Cross
Crumbuke, Atherton - Closed
Eatock No 1 & 2, Westhoughton
Edge Green, Golborne
Gibfield Arley, Atherton - Closed
Golborne Nos 1 and 2, Golborne
Grange Hall, Hindley Great
Boys Colliery, Tyldesley
Hearts o'th'meadow, Westleigh
Hindley Field, Golborne
Hilton House, Westhoughton
Hindley Hall, Hindley
Howe Bridge, Atherton - Closed
Atherton (also known as the Pretoria Pit) - Closed 1934
Ladies Lane Nos 1, 2 and 4,
Lilly Lane, Golborne
Lostock Lane, Westhoughton
Lovers Lane, Atherton - Closed
Low Hall, Hindley
Lower Hall 1, Westleigh
Lower Hall 2, Westleigh Messhing
Trees, Tyldesley Nelson,
New Lester No 1, Tyldesley
New Lester No 2, Tyldesley Nook,
Nook Nos 2, 3 and 4, Astley
Park, West Leigh
Parsonage No 1, Leigh
Parsonage No 2, Leigh
Peel, Tyldesley Peelwood,
Penny Gate – listed as not working
Pickley Heys, Westleigh
Plank Lane, Leigh (properly
known as Bickershaw) - Closed 1992 Pretoria,
Atherton (also known as Hulton Colliery) - Closed 1934
Priestners No 2, Westleigh Shakerley,
Tyldesley - listed as abandoned 1938
Snydale Hall, Westhoughton
Springfield, Westleigh St
George Nos 2 and 3, Tyldesley
Stangeways Hall, Hindley
Victoria, Atherton Wellington,
Westhoughton Nos 4, 6 &
7, Westhoughton - Nos 6 & 7 shown abandoned 1908
Westleigh Lane, Westleigh
Wharton Hall No 1, Tydesley
Wharton Hall Nos 2 & 3,
Farms of the past
Victoria Farm ( Atherton
Marsh Farm ( Langfords
Atherton Rd )
Frodsham Farm ( Wigan Lower
Belvadere Farm ( Off Coupland
Owens Farm ( Smiths Lane
Charnock Farm ( Long Lane
Parsonage Farm ( Arnside Rd
Birch Farm ( Long
Yewtree Farm ( Bexhill
Ash Tree Farm ( Atherton
Close Lane Farm ( Close Lane
Ivy Farm ( Walsh
Six Acres Farm ( Off Leigh
Alder Farm ( Alder Lane
Greens Farm ( Scowcroft Lane
Farm ( behind Hindley Green Hall, Leigh Rd ) demolished in the late
1940s to make way for Turner Bros. ( Jim
and Annie Sykes, were tenants there from 1926 to 1943 )
Violent behaviour obviously existed, although not much of
it seemed to be reported in this quarter of the century
28 Aug Brutal attack and highway robbery in the "New Road," Bradshawgate.
28 Oct Serious colliery riots in Wigan.
20 Sep Edmund Astle, M.D., formerly a medical officer of the Leigh
Union, committed for trial for manslaughter.
1 Jun Dreadful murder in Leigh; Henry Farington deliberately shot
26 Aug Henry Farington convicted of the murder of his wife at Pennington,
at the Liverpool Assizes and sentenced to death.
Today we are seeing churches closed all over the district.
Below are the Churches that were established in this area between
1852 and 1875
6 Mar Meeting to promote the erection of a new church
17 Oct Opening of the New Wesleyan Chapel, Westleigh.
19 May Foundation stone of Christ Church, Pennington, laid by Lord
21 Apr Foundation stone of Methodist Free Church, Hindley Green, laid
by Mr. Edwin Diggle, son of Jas. Diggle, Esq.
3 May Opening of St. Joseph's New Catholic Church, Bedford.
7 Oct Methodist Free Church, Hindley Green, opened.
6 Mar Opening of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Tyldesley.
15 Jun Foundation stone laid of St. Mary's Church, Lowton, by Ralph
Leigh, Esq., of Wigan, in behalf of the patroness, Miss Leigh, of
30 Jun Consecration of St. John's Church, Wingates, Westhoughton.
16 May Opening of St. Mary's Church, Lowton.
3 Dec Foundation stone laid of the United Methodist Free Church, Plank
21 Apr Opening of the United Methodist Free Church, Plank-lane.
20 Apr Opening of St. Peter's Mission Church, Westleigh.
14 Apr Foundation stone of New Wesleyan Chapel, Chowbent, laid by
James Hayes, Esq.
17 Jun Foundation stone laid of New Wesleyan Chapel, Bury Lane.
24 Sep Opening of new Wesleyan Chapel, Chowbent.
5 Nov Opening of the new Wesleyan Chapel, Bury Lane.
23 Jul Foundation stone laid of United Methodist Free Church and Schools,
13 Jun Foundation stone of New Catholic Church, Tyldesley, laid by
Dr. Goss, Bishop of Liverpool.
Foundation stone laid of Primitive Methodist Chapel, Leigh.
15 May Foundation stone laid of St. Bartholomew's Church, Westhoughton.
7 Apr Foundation stone laid of new Congregational Chapel, Gelborne.
22 May Foundation stone laid of the new Parish Church, Leigh, by the
Bishop of Manchester.
19 Aug Foundation stone laid of new Wesleyan Chapel, Golborne.
29 Mar Foundation stone of new Wesleyan Chapel, Bedford, laid by James
Opening of new Independent Methodist Chapel, Golborne.
17 Oct Foundation stone laid of the new Progressive Wesleyan Chapel,
20 May Foundation stone laid of new Congregational Chapel, Union-street,
Leigh, by Henry Lee, Esq., J.P. of Manchester.
Bethel United Methodist Church Hindley Green
( Hindley Common Church. )
Very brief history of
"The Bethel Church"
This information relates to the site on Atherton Rd, Hindley
Green at the top of Leigh Rd
where the Bethel Community Centre stands.
Today it is occupied by the
Family Church @ Bethel.
Bethel United Methodist Church Hindley Green was originally
known in the early days as
Hindley Common Church.
The church began in 1865 and
the Church & Sunday school were offshoots of Brunswick
Methodist Church which was in Leigh Rd, Hindley Green. Today known
as Hindley Green
The church was founded in1865
in the house of William Meadows in Coal Pit Lane.
George Elliot offered his small
shop on Atherton Rd for use as a Sunday School.
The floor had no floorboards,
no stone flags the people stood and knelt on the bare earth.
On the 1st Sunday 10th Sept
1865 there were 58 people attended in the morning and 87 in
On the 2nd Sunday, 17th Sept there were a total of 160 persons attended.
Eventually the shop became too
small, so there was an appeal for money to build a new Church.
John Thomason ( Picture below
) appealed on behalf of United Methodist Free Church.
Charles Abbott of Swan Lane
loaned his barn (Above) for Sunday school address.
In 1866, Lomax & Griffiths
of Platt Bridge were employed to do the building
( A small brick building ) and on the 23rd July 1866, the foundation
stone was laid.
The building cost £250 and took 13 and a half mths to complete.
In 1871 – 72 the school began
to give way because of land movement caused by the
nearby pits. The Church was declared unfit for worship.
Thomas Kirkpatrick and Sons
cotton mills offered a room in the mill in Atherton Rd to be
used as the Sunday School and Church. The Church stayed in this room
for 1 year.
Early pioneers of the
church at Bethel
John Hodgkiss was Lead Singer
Because of the damage, the last
meeting was held in Church at Bethel on June 22nd1873
A legal wrangle took place between
the Bethel trustees and John Speakman, who at first, refused
to accept liability for the damage.
Eventually, after a very expensive
law suit and a 4 day trial in Bolton Town Hall, John Speakman
was forced to accept full responsibility for the damage and erect
a temporary building of wood
( Described as a lovely looking Doric style building, which was eventually
clad with zinc tin.
Because of the many different
buildings that had been used for the Sunday School and Church.
names emerged for the Church, name such as: Noahs Ark, Silver
Chapel, Tea Caddy,
Top-o-th-Sands and United Methodist Free Church.
the church numbers grew, it became obvious that this building was
not sufficient for the size
of the congregation.
the church stewards did a deal and sold the wooden building to Westleigh
Mill for £120
and it was dismantled in 1882.
A new brick church was built ( below ) at the cost of £1,315. 16.
6, the foundation stones being
laid on 4th November 1882.
Further wrangles with the Swan
Lane Brick and Coal Co took place as a result of damage to
the Church. A shaft was sunk 30 yds from school and caused further
damage to the school.
Finally, after much aurgument and court dealings
in 1896 the matter was settled.
In 1901 a new pipe organ was installed.
The church had many problems over the years.
In 1905 the foundation began to give way again.
On two occasions the building was struck by lightening and on another
occasion damaged by
The church celebrated its Jubilee Celebrations on Saturday
& Sunday 30th & 31st October
The church building was eventually demolished about
"With permission from Wigan Archives Service, WLCT".
More detailed account can be found in Leigh Library
History of Bethel United
Methodist Church Hindley Green from
1865 to 1915
In the vicinity of Hindley
Green is the town of Atherton.
There is an interesting
Church ( Chowbent Unitarian Chapel )
The first Chapel was
built in 1645. The present Chapel 1721.
below for Information
We tend to blame most of our bad weather today on global warming.
It appears that 1852 to 1875 had their fair share as well.
27 Dec Severe hurricane; much damage done in the neighbourhood.
27 Jun Violent and destructive thunderstorm at Golborne.
25 Jul Serious damage from a whirlwind at Westleigh.
16 Jun Severe storm and whirlwind in the neighborhood; great damage
18 Jul Dreadful storms and destruction of property in the neighbourhood.
29 Jan Shock of an earthquake felt in Leigh and neighbourhood.
17 Mar Severe shock of an earthquake felt in Leigh.
20 Jun Terrific thunderstorm; great destruction of property in the district
Hindley Green and the Romans
It is believed that a roman road once ran through Hindley Green on
the route from Wigan to Manchester.
During the development of a few houses in Carr Common Rd, on the north
side of Wigan Road between Dangerous Corner and West-Leigh road, items
of pottery and glass have been found. It is suggested there may have
also been a camp in the vicinity.The Roman Road is thought to run
just behind the houses here, parallel with the main road.
Fact Or Fiction ?
Green Boggart in Hindley Green
In Lancashire there used to be mosses known by colour, such as the
Green Moss (Astley) The White Moss (Skelmersdale), the Red Moss (Clitheroe)
and naturally the appropriate Boggart was the Green,White, Red as
the case might be.
Jinny greenteeth was supposed to be the wife of the Green Boggart.
She seemed to spend most of her time lolling in the moss streams with
her long green hair streaming in the current.
JACK O' LANTERN (the bog light)
Jack o' lantern was the decoy used by the Boggart to entice unwary
travelers into the Moss, Who, when they saw the lights thought they
were travelling on firm and safe ground Until it was too late, and
they were sucked into the moss.
The green boggart would often get bored, and used to relive his boredom
by playing pranks On people and there animals. One trick was to make
himself very small and creep into the ear of a horse; frightening
it so much it would gallop madly in any direction open to it. This
madness in old times was known as "Takking Boggarts". He also used
to visit houses where they had not taken the trouble to protect themselves
with a charm or spell, he would make himself invisible and enter the
house then all sorts of strange things he would make happen, such
as pots and pans, crockery and ornaments would seem to fly off sideboards,
chairs would move and water would throw its self onto the fire, and
doors would open and shut themselves.
The following story tells of a typical Boggart prank. Up to a few years ago there used to be a row of houses in
Swan Lane, Hindley Green, Which were called the boggart
houses. Owd Moe, a boss of one of the Pits in the area, Maybe
the Bugle Horn, Gawp'in Throstle, Snotty JIms or
Crppins 2 inch, I am not sure, But he lived in swan lane. He had a
big black cat, of which he was very proud, At night the cat had a
habit of wandering the Boggart Houses. In one of these houses lived
a bad tempered, dirty elderly man who was known as Sammy Stinker,
He had no friends and lived alone. One day the Green Boggart, who
was at a loose end and happened to be wandering about that part of
the country, called at Stinker's house and asked for a drink of water.
This of course was just an excuse to get into the house.
In spite of Sam's very rude refusals, the Boggart who had adopted
the form of a human edged himself into the house. After a while he
managed to overcome Sam's objections By using his Boggart blarney,
and managed to get Sam to play a game of dominoes with him. This game
lasted for several hours, and the Boggart told tales of the wonderful
and magical things that he had done in his life time. The Boggart
noticed that there was a beam running across the room with a fairly
large hook Driven into it near one end from
the hook hung a strong clothes line. After a while the boggart Suddenly
said to Sam "Does tha know Sam, that ah wor a Boggart til aw ma mosses
"now a didn't know" replied Sam.
The Boggart continued "ah've noan fergetten any o mi owd tricks, and
Ah've a mahnd t'show thi some o' um". The Boggart indicated the hook
and rope, and suggested to Sam that he could hang him (The Boggart)
in a real hangman's fashion, provided that he could hang Sam afterwards.
Sam thinking it was a real push-over told the Boggart to stand on
a chair whilst he slipped a noose round his neck. He then made the
other end of the rope fast to a wall bracket, leaving nearly a foot
slack in the rope, still on the hook. When he had done this he snatched
the chair from under the Boggarts feet and the Boggarts weight jerked
the rope tight and left him dangling about six inches from the floor.
When the body had been hanging several minutes, Sam had a good look
at the boggart And was sure he was dead. He stood for a minute or
two, then decided to go to the local pub, (The Aleck) he went to get
his coat and hat from the back place. He returned to the front room
and noticed to his horror that the Boggart was sitting by the table.
"Well", said the Boggart, "its tha turn neaw Sam"
The Boggart strung Sam up with the rope on the hook and make no mistake,
Sam was well and truly dead when the Boggert left the house. After
a day or two the neighbors began to wonder about Sam, as no one seemed
to have seen or heard him, so they decided to investigate. When they
did they found Sam hanging peacefully dead. One thing they also noticed
was that all the chairs had been placed in their proper position with
their seats under the table. This puzzled them, because if Sam had
hung himself he would have kicked the chair away, So they all agreed
it was the Boggerts doing. One or two of them had said they had seen
a big black shape mauling about the houses after dark many a time
and this must have been the Boggert. The incident was for a long time
the main topic of conversation in the taproom at the Alick, Especially
as people kept reporting they had seen the big black shape mauling
around Sam's, which had remained unoccupied since the incident.
Two characters by the names of Lazarus and Juddy who were regulars
at the pub, kept on talking over the incident and they finally decided
that they would do something about it. So one night they entered Sam's
old house, first they made sure the that the rope and hook was in
place, then they sat in the dark and waited. About midnight the men
were disturbed there was someone coming into the house, and sure enough
there was a black shape moving around the room. Grab him they shouted
while Lazarus was getting the noose a terrible struggle started, accompanied
by a lot of spitting and hissing and other noises that sounded like
cursing in a foreign language. After a long and fierce struggle, in
which Lazarus got very badly scratched, they managed to get the noose
over the shapes head. They pulled as hard as they could on the rope.
"That's getten him awreet, let him ger eawt o that". The two men then
crept out of the house and went home to bed, where they had a few
hours sleep, Then they had to go to their work at the pit.
During the following day owd Moe was making a great to do about his
cat that had not been seen since the night before. That night Lazarus
and Juddy paid their usual visit to the Alick's and started to brag
as to how they had fought and hanged the boggart in Sam's house. They
invited all the other men to accompany them and have a look at the
hanging boggart. About a dozen or so went to the house and went inside.
Hanging from the beam was, not the Boggart, But owd Moe's black cat.
The other men laughed and said "Th owd Boggart's done it again." Owd
Moe was furious when he found out and vowed Lazarus and Juddy would
never work at his pit as long as he was alive. Lazrus and Juddy however,
firmly believed that it was the Boggart they had hanged, But that
due to some magic he had managed to get loose and hanged the cat in
Old stories of boggarts and owd Hob and his followers, are all but
long forgotten. In this modern day and age, dismissed as tales to
scare the children. But today are our Boggarts of other planets? Or
the gremlins that attack our machinery. We today as man in day gone
by, have beliefs and who's to say what is true or fantasy. Beware
the Boggart could still be there.
Facts submitted by residents.
by Alan Roper of Hindley Green.
& Calves Pub, Leigh Rd Hindley Green ( What is now Tattenham
Works ) was known as “ Nurseries of Naughtiness or a “ House of ill
& Wilcox Funeral Directors, Leigh Rdwas
once a Public house named “The Farmyard”
were 4 Co-op buildings in Hindley Green.
is now Wyndons Car spares.
the corner of East St & Atherton Rd ( Now Barbers shop )
Body Image tanning shop is now.
4.On the corner of Smith’s Lane/Leigh Rd.
Other Shops in Hindley Green,
in past days.
Styling House is now was Tinker Lowes ( Iron mongers)
Apparently there was always a very strong smell of paraffin when you
passed the shop.
Comment on "Tinker Lowe " Submitted
by Gwen Pendlebury. Location:
for a very entertaining site. Can I add a bit of info. You mentioned
Tinker Lowe's shop on Atherton Road. His son was Robert Lowe who lived
with his wife Mary in a bungalow called East View on Carr Common Road,
they created Belvedere Farm and were at one time, the largest turkey
breeding farm in Lancashire. They later built a new house on the farm
Deacon Bank. Atherton Rd near to Palin St.
Yates Grocer, corner of Palin St/Atherton Rd.
White House on Atherton Rd. ( See
information below )
( Home of George Formby,
famous Actor/Singer ) Hindley Green
Athletic Field. ( Somewhere to the rear of School Row and right
of Hawthorn Ave.)
known bobby (Bobby Cochrane) Lived in police houses
1940s/50s, situated in Swan Lane.
according to Alan Roper, Bobby Cochrane had a knack of just showing
up at the right time to catch youngsters misbehaving.
he suffered with arthritis he could still catch them and clip them
round the ear, sometimes weeks after the incident. He always pushed
a bicycle but never rode it.
on Corner Lane, opposite the Bethel. named “Pike
view” for obvious reason that they had a good view of Rivington
Pike before the houses were built opposite.
House also known as The White House. Situated 370 Atherton Rd, Hindley Green.
Built in the late 18th
The home of several prominent families.
Hargreaves: Landowners and carriers.
Gilroys: Colliery owners.
Ackers: Colliery Owners.
Formby Family: The family of George Formby Snr
and George Formby Jnr. Presently
the home of a local doctor. ( I am not sure if he is still practicing
The Formby family moved into
this property in the early 1900s when George Formby Jnr was a young
boy and it was whilst living here that young George ( real name George
Hoy Booth ) became a jockey.
was born at 3 Westminster Street, Wigan,
Lancashire, as George Hoy Booth,
the eldest of seven surviving children (four girls and three boys).
Formby was born blind due to an obstructive caul;
his sight was restored during a violent coughing fit or sneeze when
he was a few months old.
father James Booth used the stage name George
Formby, adopted from the town of Formby,
Lancashire, and was one of the great
music hall comedians of his day,
fully the equal of his son's later success. His father, not wishing
him to watch his performances, moved the family to Atherton Road in
Hindley, near Wigan,
and it was from there that Formby was apprenticed as a jockey
when he was seven and rode his first professional race aged ten when
he weighed under 4 stone (56
lb; 25 kg).
Below is video footage
of George Formby Snr & George Formby Jnr.